At least 18 people killed in Ukraine as Russia carries out more attacks

At least 18 people killed in Ukraine as Russia carries out more attacks

At least 18 people have been killed in Ukraine as Russia exploits Kyiv’s lack of missile interceptors in another wave of attacks.

Moscow launched several jet-powered drones at Kyiv Oblast, including the country’s capital, during the day on Thursday, killing at least two people.

The strikes followed ballistic missile attacks that claimed at least 16 lives and caused explosions to ring out across several districts of Kyiv earlier in the day. Buildings were also shaken and car alarms set off, according to the Kyiv Independent.

Several districts have been impacted by the strikes, including Holosiivskyi, Sviatoshynskyi, Solomianskyi and Shevchenkivskyi.

In Solomianskyi, a nine-storey residential building collapsed and caught fire, Kyiv Mayor Vitali Klitschko said on Telegram. He said a children’s hospital in the district was also damaged, with windows shattered and cars on the premises.

“People are trapped” at another residential building, he added, with parts of Sviatoshynskyi and Solomianskyi also without electricity.

Ukraine’s State Emergency Service said fires had broken out in residential buildings and warehouses.

It said rescuers were at the scene of the attacks and had extricated at least two people from the rubble of collapsed buildings.