Sinner Pulls Out Of US Open 2026 Day After Alcaraz Announces Return

Sinner Pulls Out Of US Open 2026 Day After Alcaraz Announces Return

World number one Jannik Sinner confirmed on Friday he will not compete in the US Open because of a right knee injury. Sinner, who the US Open in 2024, said that he needs more to recover from his injury setback. Sinner’s announcement came a day after rival and defending champion Carlos Alcaraz confirmed his much-awaited return from a wrist injury at the US Open, the fourth and final Grand Slam of the year. Sinner won Wimbledon earlier this year in Alcaraz’s absence.

“Even though I have been working hard with my team and my medical staff, we have now had to make the difficult decision that I will not be able to compete at the US Open this year. We have been back on court in Monte Carlo over the last couple of days and have realised that I still need more time to recover from my right knee issue. I’m obviously very sad and disappointed, as New York has a special place in my heart. I was very much looking forward to coming back and playing in the electric atmosphere in front of the great fans there,” Sinner said in a statement.

Alcaraz, a seven-time Grand Slam champion, has been sidelined since April because of a right wrist injury, forcing him to miss both the French Open and Wimbledon.